Sunday, January 23, 2011

23 January 2011

After a long day of flying, I have finally made it to Townsville! When I arrived in LAX, I had five hours until my next plane left for Sydney. That may seem like a long time, but considering how long it took me to find my terminal, the time went by fast! Four other exchange students and I boarded a plane at 9:00PM to Sydney. The three other exchange students that I met, followed on the plane behind ours, leaving at 10:00. After 14 hours of being on the plane, which I thankfully slept through most of, we arrived in Sydney. After getting lost in that airport also, we finally made it to our gate with a little time to grab some food. We all learned that you don't have to take your shoes off when going through security in Australia, after we had already gone through security and had to ask the security officers why they were all laughing at us. After one last plane ride we arrived in Townsville, where we were greeted by our host families! Even though I slept on the plane to Sydney, I was still exhausted when I arrived in Townsville. I told myself I wouldn't go to sleep before dinner, but I finally gave in and took a nap.
Bec (my host mum) made pasta for dinner last night and pancakes, or what we would call crepes, this morning for breakfast! The food so far here has been great. Bec is a really good cook, so mom and dad, you might have to practice your cooking for when I come back home! You have some competition :)
I have caught on to some slang! Rubish is trash, Kelvyn (my host dad) referred to the shopping carts today as trolleys, a nappy is a diaper, and juice boxes are poppers. When the people here are talking fast, I can't understand them at all, but I'm starting to catch on slowly!

You can follow this link to see a video I made while we were traveling yesterday!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MygGDbh3lrY

1 comment:

  1. The same thing happened to me at an airport here in Spain with the shoes, and laughing at me about it!

    Also, you BETTER pick up an Australian accent, and start using all of those words on a daily basis(:

    ReplyDelete